Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display
Skip to Content

6 Signs of Mold Everyone Should Know

March 25, 2021

signs of mold

Mold infestation in your home is one of the worst things that you can ever experience. Mold damage can turn your dream home into a nightmare. Thanks to the musty smell caused by mold, your indoor atmosphere can also be quite unbearable.

Mold is a fungus that thrives well in a wet and damp atmosphere. Thus, inhaling a lot of mold spores could trigger health issues.

Are you worried that your home is mold-infested? Below are six signs of mold infestation every homeowner should know about.

1. You or Your Family Members Are Always Sick

Constant exposure to mold spores, especially at home, could lead to alarming health issues. Mold exposure triggers allergic reactions in individuals. Some of these allergies include:

  • Watery eyes
  • Constant coughing
  • Running nose and nasal congestion
  • Constant sneezing
  • Sore throat
  • Skin rash
  • Wheezing
  • Lung irritation
  • Headache

If you come in contact with mold, you may also experience skin sensitivity, itchiness, and a tingling sensation. The body then releases histamine to fight these allergic reactions, leading to dry, flaky skin, causing hives.

Prolonged exposure to mold causes asthma symptoms. That’s because the mold spores infiltrate the lungs leading to difficulty in breathing. According to statistics, individuals are 40% more likely to develop asthma when living in moldy or damp homes.

You may have a higher risk of infection and complications if you have underlying conditions such as allergies, cystic fibrosis, and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD).

2. Bubbly-Looking Walls

Have you noticed any bubbles forming on painted walls? This could be a sign of mold. You may see bubbles on areas of your wall that are exposed to moisture.

If you suspect your home is mold-infested, look at the basement or bathroom walls or areas near the windows and sinks.

A wall near a leaking pipe or a leaking windowsill creates ideal conditions for the growth of mold. In such cases, it’s best to scrape the paint off the wall, clean it well, then patch it and dry the surface before repainting. This will get rid of the mold spores once and for all.

3. A Strange, Musty Smell

A strange, unpleasant smell is one of the biggest giveaways for mold infestations in homes. Look for a moldy and musty smell, especially near areas of your home that are damp and always wet.

The closer you get to a mold-infested area, the worst the smell. If your home was closed for a few days, you might be able to feel the earthy smell of mold once you reopen.

Remember, mold is not always visible. Therefore, it’s good to contact a professional to test for mold and advice on the best mold treatment methods.

4. Flooding and Water Leaks

Have you ever experienced severe pipe leaks or flooding in your home? If you have, there is a high chance that mold might be growing where the flooding was. Common areas for mold growth include behind the wall and underneath the floorboards.

Mold also thrives well behind any wall near a leaking pipe or sink. Look out for cracks and bulging on your wallpaper and wall paint. This could be a sign of mold growing under the wall surface.

You can also look out for discoloration and signs of water stains on the ceiling, walls, or floors. Any patches of discoloration could be a sign that mold spores are growing around those areas.

5. Visible Signs of Mold Growth

An indicative sign of black mold is the speed it takes to multiply. Black mold is black, brownish or splotchy, and spreads very fast. If you spot even a tiny patch, take action immediately to stop it from spreading.

Other mold types such as blue, pink, and green molds are also easy to detect. However, white mold is more difficult to spot, especially on ceilings and walls. If you observe closely, white mold looks like furry veins creeping out of a center spore.

6. Condensation

If you spot water droplets condensed near your windows and doors, this is a clear sign of the presence of moisture in your indoor air. Moisture inevitably leads to mold growth.

Water droplets also indicate high humidity in your house. Mold spores thrive better in humid environments.

To get rid of the humidity, consider purchasing a dehumidifier. With a dehumidifier, you can set the right humidity level, eliminating the dampness. Remember to schedule an inspection and mold removal to eliminate any mold that grew due to the wet environment.

What to Do if You Suspect Mold in Your Home

According to scientists, there are over 100,000 species of mold. Different types of molds have varying levels of toxicity. If mold is present in your home, contact a St Louis mold treatment professional to help you properly and safely remove the mold.

If you feel tempted to remove the mold without a professional’s help, it’s advisable not to. You may miss or accidentally spread some mold spores, further aggravating the situation.

Are There Signs of Mold in Your Home?

Have you experienced any signs of mold infestation in your St Louis home? Remember, DIY home mold removal tips could be dangerous.

But don’t worry. Anton’s Plumbing, Heating/Cooling and Energy Experts is here to assist you.

Our family-owned business has served the residents of St Louis for over 40 years. We offer high-quality services at pocket-friendly prices. We care about your family’s safety and the quality of your indoor air; thus, our technicians will work tirelessly to get rid of mold in your home.

Our technicians can also help you eliminate other indoor contaminants such as moisture—drafts, bacteria, smoke fumes, and allergens.

Contact us today for professional mold removal.

Prev Post Next Post